Join Becky Lyon / ELASTIC FICTION for the third in a series of 8 art-practice-led gatherings following and drawing attention to seasonal rhythms, patterns of place and earth-centric chronology.
For the 3rd of our EARTHSHAPES gathering we celebrate the long awaited arrival of spring! The Spring Equinox is our cue for celebrating the return of the balance between night and light, longer days and an ecology bursting with life through plans for experimenting, inventing, playing and realising. We’ll explore ‘springing’ as a motivating verb drawing on insights from ecology. We’ll tune into the colours of the inner and external seasons with artist Alisa Ruzavina and expand into the astronomical equinox with sustainable image-maker Olga Suchanova, honouring the return of new growth through a ritual bridging Slavic, British and Celtic traditions all in the company of the unique urban woodland of Phytology.
Phytology is an urban woodland wonderland and cultural institute based at the Bethnal Green Nature Reserve in Tower Hamlets, East London. Ticket sales cover consumables and any surplus will go towards Phytology’s extraordinary Mobile Apothecary project.
More about Earthshapes Gatherings
- This event will take place outdoors so come dressed for the weather!
- This event will involve some gentle movement
- If you can please bring a cup (and let us know if you have any allergens).
- There are toilets on site - it might be the coolest toilet ever :)
- The site is step-free but the ground is woodland so may not be suitable for wheelchair users - please contact me if you have any queries.
- Numbers are strictly limited for an intimate (and Covid-safe!) experience. Over 18s only please.
- In accordance with Covid guidelines - please do not attend if you feel unwell, are awaiting negative results or have been in direct contact with someone who has tested positive.
- Please feel free to email me in confidence with anything you think I should know.
- If you would like to attend but can not afford the consumables cost or if you have any questions / ponderings don't hesitate to contact me at email@example.com
Many of us are out of rhythm. Our time has become capped and contorted around the 9-5 (if we’re lucky), our year punctuated by the commercial calendar, our patterns of pause out of sync with the stillness of darker days. We are off-beat with our ecology.
The woods is a space to interrupt those oppressive rhythms. On crossing the threshold you enter Woodland Time. You cannot rush the pace of growth, you cannot will the raspberries to grow in Winter, you cannot threaten the bulbs to bloom before spring. Entering the woods is an invitation to slow the haste and embrace the character of that moment.
Side-stepping the Gregorian, financial and academic diaries I invite you to join a series of gatherings providing punctuation marks dictated by significant time-turning points of the British Isles. These will be inspired by the ancient Celtic and Pagan wheels, lunar calendar and cross-cultural seasonal marks.
Each session guest artists will present offerings from their art-research practices that highlight and draw focused attention to that moment. Together we may move, ingest, tell stories, collectively write, sound out, conduct rituals, weave together, meditation, make....